DC AND HIV... It's EPIDEMIC!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

BY: MADAM DLBG

"Latest statistics: 3% of DC's 591,833= 17,755 OR 3% of DMV's 5.3 million= 159,000! Whether this new statistic refers to the city only or the entire Metro area, one this is for certain... this is still not all of the statistics!"

On yesterday, the Washington Post published an alarming story about the DC area and its HIV rate. As of current, the DC area now has an astonishing 3% of residents living with HIV... AND THIS IS JUST THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN TESTED!

I for one am shocked, but not surprised. For the past 10 years, the HIV rate in the District has been rising steadily, faster then all cities in the nation for the majority of the time. And although the area CDC and DOH have done an aggressive job of getting the word out and providing assistance for prevention, this has still not been enough.

I definitely want to big up the CDC and DOH. For the past 5 years, I have spotted numerous signs, commercials and information warning the city residents about the HIV rate and also offering many measures to assist those that are HIV+, including free medication. I have watched buses pass me with huge signs attached shouting the alarming "1 in 4 residents are infected" statistic. Yet evidently, this has done nothing to wake up or help the public.

"PEOPLE, WE HAVE NO MORE EXCUSES FOR OUR BEHAVIOR!"

This staggering number and information begs the question: "What else can be done?" I think the answer is very simple, but people make it hard for themselves. At this point, it is clear that the only thing that can be done is BECOME ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOURSELF! This is not he next step, or the most reasonable step, but it is the ONLY step!

In talking to many people about these facts over the years, I have noticed that the common thought is still "It only affects gay men". It saddens me as both a health professional and a young African American woman to hear people say this. How easily we forget the fact that African Americans have the HIGHEST rate of HIV, with it being the leading case of death for WOMEN between the ages of 25-34. Let us also not forget that women have a higher percentage of contraction during heterosexual intercourse.

Since knowing these numbers, for the past 3 years I have been tested when I have my yearly physicals. I will share this: each time, whether I had a reason to be or not, I was scared, nervous and anxious. I will not pretend that being tested is a "happy and joyous" experience as some of the initiatives and campaigns have made it out to be. But I will stand on the fact that knowing my status is invigorating and a blessing and I could not live life not knowing.

I know that things happen and we all have "slipped up" or done things that have been unsafe in regards to this disease. If this is the case, take ownership of your action and become informed of your status! If this is not the case, please continue to stay safe and remember that abstinence is the only 100% safety net.

0 comments: